Friday, March 16, 2012

Food in Literature: Making it Real (Part I-A)

Not ready to head back into the trenches for Part II, but I came across a new blog which would have been a wonderful find when I wrote Food in Literature: Making it Real (Part I) that I had to at least make acknowledgement of it. In Yummy Books, Chef Cara draws on the "connection between eating and reading" that she has always had along with her feeling that "some of the most romantic, most poignant scenes in literature are scenes of cooking and eating" to create blog posts about food scenes and building recipes and photo essays about making those recipes.

Thus, one can find, among other things, "Miss Havisham’s Toasted Almond Cherry Bride Cake" complete with "speckled-legged spiders with blotchy bodies running home to it, and running out from it" and Marcel Proust's "Swann's Ways Madeleines."

Update: November 2012: See "Fictional Foods: No Empty Calories" from Wall St. Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment